Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Short Takes

One thing I've discovered is writing a blog is 1. addicting and 2. time consuming. Since my job is consuming about 50 or more hours a week, I really don't have the time to do the blog justice. Yet, I keep thinking of things I would like to write about. What I'm going to try to do on a regular basis is give weekly short updates on a few topics and when I have extra time devote more attention to the things I want to expound on. If I can at least get the short takes in, I think it will satisfy my need for a post fix.

I've entitled my first take: What I Heard in Church this Week I have been attending the Eagle Creek Grace Brethren Church on the NorthWest side of Indianapolis for 33 years and have had the privilege of listening to some of the best Bible teaching available. Pastor Paul Woodruff has devoted himself to the Word of God and his teaching has been a great blessing and has helped equip me in the faith. I thought I would briefly recap Pastor Paul's message by posting the main Bullitt points with appropriate scripture references. When I have the time I might add my own thoughts.

My second take will continue through football season: Colts Recap will be an attempt to give my short analysis of the week's Colt's Game. I may also add thoughts on other NFL games also.

Last but not least will be my attempt to present a short paragraph or two about my favorite genre of movies-- horror and all it's subgenres. I'll call it Thriller of the Week I will start with the very first horror movie and work my way through history. My horror movie collection dates back to 1896 with movies from all over the world.

These short takes may come all in one post or may come seperately.

So here goes,

What I Heard in Church This Week:

Message Title: Labor Laws
by Pastor Paul Woodruff
Date of Messgae 9/5/2010

4 Labor Laws To Live By

1.) The Law of Integrity Epesians 6:5-6,
God is more interested in how I work than what I do

2.) The Law of Priority Isaiah 58:13-14, Deuteronomy 5:12-15
Work shouldn't be prioritized over Health, Family or God
The Sabbath was made for us to Rest and give Worship to God
This particular part of the message convicted me. On Sundays, I usually stop in at work before I go to church. This has interfered with my attending Sunday School. My place of work is only a couple of blocks away from my church and I've found it convenient to stop in and get a jump start on Mondays. Because I have some commitments I am resposible for, I may not be able to completely stop going in. But I can limit some of it and I don't have to let it interfere with my Sunday School attendance.

3.) The Law of Security Psalm 62
Our efforts are not the guarantee of our security. The Lord is our Ultimate security

4.) The Law of Identity
In the work place value is palced on the bottom line (performance oriented) This causes people to evaluate others by their accomplishments causing too many people to find their value in their jobs
We are not what we do-- everyone has value & our value lies with Jesus

Colts Recap:
The preseason is over and now we can get down to real football. Again, the Colts record in the preseason was abominable. This year going 0-4. This is nothing new and not to cause worry. Since 2005 the Colts have only won 4 preseason games. In contrast, the Colts have the best regular season record in the League since 1999. They have won 6 of the past 7 AFC South titles. Over the past 7 seasons they have won at least 12 of their 16 regular season games (an NFL record)and have been to 2 Super Bowls and won one.

Thriller of the Week:
Le Manoir du Diable (The House of the Devil)
George Melies
1896

This film has the trappings of horror with a sinister dwarf, a skeleton and dancing phantoms. A bat flies about transforming into "the devil" who conjures up a cauldron and a woman who comes forth from the cauldron. "The devil" is then pitted against two gentlemen who come into his home. One of the men flees in terror as strange happenings begin, and the other must face "the devil." In the final confrontation the gentleman finds a cross and vanquishes "the devil".

Melies most famous film would be A Trip to the Moon made in 1902. Le Manoir du Diable probably should be considered the first horror film. Considering the bat changing into a man and vice versa and his banishment by a cross, it could be considered the first vampire film. Meleis was a magician and this film is an outgrowth of his work on the stage. It is filled with stop tricks (filming objects then while the camera is stopped moving them out of view making it appear as if the object disappears when the film is started)

View the film below

No comments:

Post a Comment