Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Colts AFC South Champs & other stuff

I now see why alot of bloggers post less during the holidays. It has been difficult to find the time to write down my thoughts and recollections. Not only has Christmas and New Year's festivities demanded more of my time but my job responsibilities have increased and don't show any signs of lessening for the forseeable future. Ahh, Job security-- a blessing during these tough economic times. One has to have the correct perspective.

The inpatient psychometrist working for our Neuropsychology department decided after a long period of service with the hospital it was time to move on. Her departure has left me with picking up the delirium tracking we do on patients and figuring out how to manage neuropsych testing for patients with now limited resources. If anyone knows a pychometrist looking for work, have them contact me.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So anyway, Sorry I've gotten behind this week on my Colt's rant. Let's hear it for the now

7 TIME AFC SOUTH CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
(pretty cool for a division only 8 years in existence)

This title has to be particularly appreciated for everything the Colt's have fought through this year.

Sunday, Indianapolis completed the 4 game winning streak they had to have to finish 10 - 6 and win the division giving them a 9th consecutive playoff birth. The Colt's 23 -20 victory over the Tennessee Titans didn't come easy. The Titans were expected by many to roll over. Their season was finished and they had nothing to play for but pride. Pride showed up. I was impressed with their game plan. Tennessee's play selection on both sides of the ball was well formulated and their players seemed up to the challenge. All that said, the Colt's prevailed.

This one wasn't decided until the last seconds when Adam Viniteri kicked a 43 yard field goal on the game's final play. With just over a minute and a half before Viniteri's kick the outlook for victory was bleak as Tennesse had recovered a Dominick Rhodes fumble (while the Colt's had been driving toward a go ahead score) and had moved into field goal range of their own. Then a fumbled Center snap allowed Robert Mathis to fall on the loose football on the Colt's 37 yard line giving Indianapolis possession with 1:25 on the clock. Peyton Manning moved the Colts down into scoring position for Viniteri. There was no way the greatest clutch kicker in football history was going to miss the kick.

There hasn't been time for celebration as the Colts must now square off with the 11 - 5 New York Jets who have been chomping at the bit for a chance to get back for their loss last season to the Colts in the AFC Championship Game. In fact, the Jets did everthing they could to shore up their vulnerabilities to the Colt's and New England's passing attacks. In addition, the Colts will be missing 2 key weapons they had last year, Dallas Clark and Austin Collie. Both did mucho damage to the Jets last year. Be that as it may, Peyton Manning has had a great deal of success against Rex Ryan led defenses and since the game is here in Indianapolis, the Colts will have a slight advantage. It should be a close game, but win or lose the Colts should be proud of their collective effort this year.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a Shout out to my brother in Christ, Jim Barnard on his Birthday this 5th of January
God Bless you, Jim!

Judy and I got together with Jim and his wife Cindy and Lee and Charlotte Martin on New Year's Eve and had a wonderful time. Jim fixed up some mean Chili, we played cards and had enjoyable fellowship. It was the first time we have spent any real quality time with Lee and Charlotte and I came away particularly pleased with these new friends. Lee's conservatism rivals my own and it appears we have much in common.

Cindy orchestrated this first get together and we are planning to make this a frequent gathering.
I am particularly greatful as it brings me together with one of my oldest and dearest friends I've ever known in Jim.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A project I just began is writing my memoirs. I figure I better get started now at the pace I write and the little time to do so. My sister, Stephanie reminds me because I have always been the healthy sibling, I will probably follow after the long life pattern on my Dad's side of the family but to keep in mind that along with the longer lifespan comes the dementia my Dad and his sisters had to deal with. She tells me, "You'll live along time but you'll think you're a hundred when you're really only 80". Since memory for many of the events in my life are already a little fuzzy I better get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment