Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas

Christmas means many things to many people throughout the world. For some it is a time for families to gather together; for some it is exchanging presents; for some it is decking the halls and Santa Claus. For children, the anticipation of waking up in the morning and finding gifts under the Christmas tree is one of the great joys of childhood.

I find it interesting we make a big deal about giving and receiving presents on Christmas, yet there are very few gifts I remember from Christmas' past. What I do remember is more personal.

I vividly remember sitting in a rocking chair in the living room of the house I grew up in (I was in my early teens) and the lights were out except for the color wheel projecting panels of color against the silver Christmas tree, the ceiling and the walls. Christmas music played on the stereo and I felt a wonderful peace listening to "Silent Night" while watching the alternating beams of color paint the room.

I remember one Christmas, I couldn't have been more than eight or nine, I woke up very early before my parents and I found my grandfather in our family room leaning over a train set that had been set up. He was watching the Lionel engine run in circles following the simple track layout.

I know the joy of spending Christmas with a loving wife and I know the joy of watching my boys filled with excitement early Christmas mornings eager to open the gifts under the tree.

For more than 25 years the tradition for my family was to spend Christmas day at my Aunt Barbara's home in Sheridan, Indiana. I could always expect a great meal , wonderful conversation, laughs, probably a card game and without a doubt a photo shoot. Barbara and Norman were perfect hosts, making everyone comfortable and providing an outstanding spread. At the end of the day it was difficult saying goodbye.

When Jason was younger, one Christmas, he asked me if I knew Xmas is often substituted for Christmas. I paused, recollecting a moment shared with my mother a long time ago. After we saw a Merry Xmas sign displayed on a neighbors lawn, she shared "The term Xmas, as far as I'm concerned is a terrible thing. It takes Christ out of Christmas. It is His birth we celebrate, afterall." I echoed my mother's comments to my son.

Yes, Christmas is all these things to me and everyone has their own special memories, but my thoughts now expand on the celebration of God's own Son coming into this sin stained world.

For everything that babe in a manger represents, when I think of Christmas, I not only see a babe dressed in swaddling clothes being worshiped by shepherds, but I consider what it must have been like for God-- the Creator of all things to humble Himself and take on human flesh.

When I think of Christmas I consider the man Jesus growing up, living sinlessly, ministering to others, performing miracles and teaching the truths of God's Word.

When I think of Christmas, I think of Jesus, the God/Man obedient to the Father allowing himself to be nailed to a cross in order to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins.

When I think of Christmas, I think of Jesus' glorious resurrection. He is a living Savior, intereceding for me everyday, keeping me, never leaving or forsaking me.

When I think of Christmas, I think of Jesus, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords soon to return and establish His Kingdom on earth.

So let me rejoice as the angels did sing that first Christmas day. For unto us is born a savior-- He is Christ the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment